Contact Us for a Consultation 267-337-6524

Bucks County Divorce Attorney

Why You Need Susan Gibson as Your Bucks County Divorce Lawyer

Offering sound guidance to protect your future

From filing the proper paperwork to dealing with an uncooperative spouse, your Bucks county divorce lawyer can streamline the divorce process and provide you with adequate representation.

Here's how Susan Gibson helps your case:

She'll Help You File the Correct Paperwork

This may be your first divorce or your first experience with the legal system. Handling divorce filings on your own can create a lag in divorce proceedings, adding more time and expense.

A divorce lawyer clearly explains your paperwork and files it correctly.

She Has Knowledge of Pennsylvania Laws

Divorce laws differ from state to state. Pennsylvania has specific laws regarding divorce requirements, asset distribution, and deciding whether, in rare circumstances, to pursue a fault divorce.

At Gibson Family Law, PLLC, we help you understand these laws to better approach your case.

She'll Defend Your Rights in Court

Divorce can be emotional for some parties, especially in high-asset divorces. When issues arise, you need an attorney to protect you from unfair treatment. You may be unaware of what you're entitled to in your divorce.

Susan Gibson presents all available options.

Your Divorce Options Under Pennsylvania Law

Providing legal services for whatever path you choose

Pennsylvania allows individuals to pursue both fault and no-fault divorces. Depending on the type of divorce you file, the process might look different.

No-Fault Divorce

Pennsylvania is a no-fault state, which means that you don't need to prove your spouse did anything wrong to get divorced. Since courts don't consider wrongdoing, fault doesn't impact the final financial result.

The two types of no-fault divorce are:

  • Mutual Consent – Both parties can consent to a divorce after 90 days from the date the divorce complaint is served.
  • One-Year Separation – After one year, you can sign an affidavit stating your separation to approve your divorce.

Fault Divorce

Since wrongdoing doesn't affect property division, most people seeking divorce don't consider a fault divorce. However, you can file for a fault divorce if the other spouse's violence, adultery, insanity, or other misconduct caused the marriage to end.

We'll Guide You Through the Divorce Process

Keeping you informed every step of the way

From initial filings to post-divorce enforcement, your divorce lawyer will handle all aspects of the process.

Meeting Necessary Divorce Requirements in PA

Pennsylvania requires those seeking divorce to meet their residency requirements. You or your spouse must have lived in Pennsylvania for at least six months to file for divorce.

Establishing Grounds for Divorce

Grounds are legally acceptable reasons for divorcing your spouse. Maybe you and your spouse mutually agree that your marriage is beyond saving, and you file for a no-fault divorce. In other cases, you may file for a fault divorce claiming that your spouse's actions caused the end of your marriage.

Filing Divorce Paperwork & Serving Your Spouse

Pennsylvania requires that all individuals seeking divorce file a divorce complaint. Once this is filed, you must serve a copy to your spouse. At this point, you or your spouse may raise claims for property division, spousal support, or alimony. In this case, you will then go through the equitable distribution process to ensure fair division of property. If no claims are raised, you will continue through your divorce proceedings.

Resolving Additional Issues

Unfortunately, divorce is just the tip of the iceberg in some cases. Spousal support, property division, and several other issues will need to be worked out either through a settlement or in court. If couples have children, they will need to establish custody and child support payments.

Bucks County Divorce FAQs

This is undoubtedly a confusing and stressful time, leaving several unanswered questions.

We'll provide you with answers to your most common questions.

Can I Prevent My Spouse from Entering Our Home?

As long as you and your spouse both own the home, they have a right to be on or in the property. Furthermore, your spouse can take action to regain entry if you lock them out. However, certain circumstances may allow your divorce lawyer to file a petition to keep your spouse away from the home.

What Should I Do if My Spouse is Abusing Me?

The court could order your spouse to leave your home if you feel you are in danger of abuse. Your attorney can help you obtain a protection from abuse order.

What's Included in the Final Divorce Decree?

The final decree of divorce will primarily address property division and alimony. Separate court orders will establish other agreements, such as custody and support.

How Long Do I Have to Wait After My Divorce to Remarry?

Once the final divorce decree is entered, you are free to remarry. It's important to note that it may take three days for you to receive an application for a marriage license.

How Long Does Divorce Take in Pennsylvania?

The time it takes to get divorced varies on a case-by-case basis. Typically, divorces take between 4-6 months. However, you and your spouse may need to negotiate property division, child custody arrangements, and other issues. These factors could cause your divorce to take anywhere from several months to even years to finish. Cooperation of both parties is key to a timely divorce.

Let Gibson Family Law, PLLC Take Your Divorce Case

When you're going through a divorce in Doylestown or anywhere else in Bucks County, it's hard to know where to begin. Attorney Susan Gibson has practiced family law for almost 15 years and is passionate about resolving your legal issue.

Call 267-337-6524   Send Us a Message

Contact Us Today

Gibson Family Law is committed to representing you in Divorce, Equitable Distribution, Child Custody, Child Support, Spousal Support/APL, and Alimony matters. Gibson Family Law also has extensive experience with Prenuptial Agreements, Postnuptial Agreements, and family law issues specific to the LGBTQ community in Pennsylvania.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.